Sunday, April 5, 2015

Curses!

I went back 'home' to visit with my parents and friends a few weeks ago.  My mother has had a habit over the last couple of years of cleaning out her cupboards and storage areas in the house.  She is continually trying to give one of her offspring some of the things she has decided to get rid of. 

When I got married, my dad's parents had died not long before.  I ended with some things from their home...couch, end tables, come cooking implements, and the Buick.  Eventually, we ended up in the house they had owned when my father was growing up and when I was young.  They had sold the house to a woman who now had it up for sale and it was in a good spot and at a good price so Evil Spawn and I bought it.

My dad's parents were both of Scottish decent.  And they both loved to drink...a lot...and swear up a storm  My father was different because his grandmother (his mom's mom) was a Christian, did not approve of her daughter or son-in-law's behavior and would take my father to Sunday School and church with her.  He grew up NOT being a drinker.

My dad's mom was a mean old bat.  His father mellowed with age and began making the family cut down on the cursing and drinking at family picnics in respect of us.

Because of many events in our married life I began to get rid of the stuff we had from my grandparents.  We ended up selling the house and moving to Arkansas, and from there I started ridding out the rest of the stuff.  I was convinced it was cursed.  After all, quite a bit of the Scottish population had been pagans and, for all I know, it was a curse that followed through the generations. 

It was while we were back in Austinburg, when Evil Spawn was off on a crack trip, that I found the last little thing that had belonged to my grandmother and tossed it.  Evil Spawn rehabbed, was offered his old job back and we ended up staying in the same place for 11 years now.  Well...he's gone...but we are still here. 

Then, on this last trip to visit, Mom showed me an old rolling pin with a cover.  She said it had belonged to my dad's mom and no one else wanted it.  I hesitated slightly but thought, "It was in my head and this is a family relic"  I didn't need another rolling pin but I took it.  I put it in my suitcase and forgot about it. 

Then...my car had a weird problem with the negative battery cable, the fridge quit and it took me a whole week of pretzel athletics to get it running again, THEN the next night my furnace started sputtering and it was something I knew how to fix, luckily BUT it hadn't done it ALL winter.  When that happened I remembered the rolling pin.  I took it out and put it in the garbage can.  Unfortunately I am not sure that counts since the garbage can is in my attached garage.  Either I take it some place else and toss it, which would constitute carrying it in my SUV, or wait until Friday when the garbage is collected. 

On top of it all, I fell a week behind in my class and the instructor has been very nice about extending me extra time.  I could not concentrate!  It isn't anything all that intense...just can't seem to penetrate.

I told my sisters about the rolling pin and before I even told them about all that has happened they told me to get rid of it.  When I told them what has happened since I came back home, they told me to toss it...literally...like a shot put.  LOL

Anyone want a possibly cursed old wooden rolling pin?

No comments: