Monday, July 30, 2012

Choreographing the Dance

I don't know why I do it.  I get anxious over ANY change in my life...even if it is a good one.

I barely got a chance to get used to the convenience store job and now I'm off to another one.  It will be a good thing...or so I am hoping.  Everyone tells me it is a good thing.  'Everyone' should know.  Right? 

But everything is getting squished together in a small area.  I am taking the trip with my parents and sisters next week.  Then as soon as I get back I start training on the new job...although they said there is a 'slight' possibility that it will have to wait until the 20th.  I am kinda expecting it to get pushed to the 20th. 

My daughter is to start driving classes on the 16th.  Her first day of school is the 21st...her senior year.  I know I have pointed that out before but I have to keep reminding myself cuz it just doesn't seem real to me yet!  My college classes start the next week. 

I managed to move my Tuesday morning class to Thursday night so that it will not be in the way of my job training or work schedule.  The other Tuesday class, however, had no other choice.  The instructor, though, is very understanding and said she would send me everything I needed on the Blackboard and I could send my assignments back through the college email...except for the quiz that I will be missing.  She said she would arrange for me to take it in the library when I come on Thursday night for my other class.  That is one less worry for me, then.

HOWEVER, it did finally hit me that my 4 weeks of training is full time and the last 3 weeks of it will over lap with my college classes...which are FULL TIME.  I'm just hoping my old mind can handle it.  I wouldn't sweat it becuz I would think, 'no prob!  I can do most of the work on the weekend!'  PROBLEM!  What happens is the instructors put the assignments up on Blackboard on Sunday night and want it all done by Thursday night!  The only 2 classes that I can do the work for over the weekend are the classes that I am actually physically supposed to be there for...the 2 CIT classes. 

Shouldn't borrow trouble.  I don't know what I have to do for any of the classes, yet.   The only piece of good news there is that one of the 3 online classes is only half of a semester so I will have one less class by the time the holidays roll around.  Good thing becuz by then I will be helping TJ get ready to attend his new college.  The classes will start the last Monday in November.  Now, honestly...what kind of time is THAT to start a semester?  I already pointed out to him that he would be going consecutive semesters...that means no summer off.  I hope he enjoyed his down time this summer.  I know he enjoyed his new job more than that one he had last summer.



I am already making the lists.  The calendars and the lists.  It would certainly help if Troy could put his 'schedule' on the calendar!  Yesterday was our 23rd anniversary.  And after 23 years don't you think he would KNOW and would cooperate with filling in the calendar???  He KNOWS that 'time' organization is a big thing with me!  I need to be able to plan ahead as much as possible.  Life is a series of dances and it all has to be coordinated.  For 22 years, I have coordinated the dance for me and TJ then Bethany joined in.  Troy has refused.  He has always been doing his own dance off to the side and every once in a while he'll look up and wonder what we're doing.  I put up the dry erase calendar and board in the kitchen so that he could see the direction the dance was going in and maybe add his steps to it.  nope.

When he asks me what my work schedule is or when a dr. appt. is, or whatever, I just tell him, "IT'S ON THE FREAKIN' CALENDAR!!!  LOOK!" 



So, this trip, with my parents and sisters, has been planned since February, at least.  I have reminded him of it from time to time.  I got sick of giving him daily reminders for the past 2 weeks so I erased the calendar and rearranged it to show when the trip is.  And yesterday....he looks at me....and says...."So are you the only one going on this trip?"  *birds chirping*  (I know he meant the only one from our household). 

Just for a split second I considered saying, "NO!  Don't tell me you forgot to take vacation time!"  But I wasn't feeling it...I looked at him with a straight face and said, as calmly as you please, "Yes."  and walked away.

sigh...and THERE is the biggest source of my anxiety.  I CANNOT count on him to step in and take up the slack.  How can he when he isn't familiar with the dance and has never made an attempt to become a part of it?  The kids get it!  They don't help entirely but they get it and they help more than none. 

I can see it now...once the kids are done with college, get jobs and move out...it will be Troy doing his own thing and once in a while he will just happen to think about the fact that there is someone else in the house...doing the laundry, grocery shopping, adding to the bank account...he'll bump into me in the kitchen and say, "Where is it you are working?"  I could probably pack my bags and leave and he wouldn't notice until he ran out of clean underwear.

No comments: