Tuesday, July 10, 2012

The Head Job

Now...about the jobs. 

I was hired back in April/end of March for a supposed kindergarten teaching job.  It was for one of those chain preschool/daycare/kindergarten/after school program places.  I had taught a preschool class many many years ago and I had had a lot of fun doing it.  But this place was chaos and everyday it felt like they were scrambling.  It turns out they had gone for about 3 months without an actual teacher in that class.  AND it was unorganized and a mess.  They expected me to organize it and do all kinds of things that they should have been helping with.  It turned into sheer anxiety for me.  The kids were acting out mainly becuz they had been shuffled between caretakers for months, the parents were super critical...it was just too much for me to handle at that time.  With things changing at home and everyone trying to get used to things...my son started a new job at about the same time, the nephew had started a job and trying to keep track of everyone's schedules and keeping things taken care of at home...I had dry erase boards put up in the kitchen so that we could communicate with each other and keep track of work schedules...also keep track of who was responsible for picking Bethany up from the HS at the end of the day.  I began feeling panic attacks coming on...everything felt out of control and I wasn't understanding it.  I had never felt so out of control and so much like I couldn't get a handle on things in my life.  I ended up leaving the job...it was a mutual thing.  They said it didn't seem like I was happy being there.  (what was your first clue?)

I think the worst part of it all was my husband who told me he was DISAPPOINTED in me.  wow.  All the things he pulled...the job he hated and the crack problem he went through...and so much more...and HE was disappointed in ME!  I was speechless.  Just when I needed someone's support the most, I got knocked down and kicked in the stomach.  It just managed to cement some future plans that had been floating around in my head. 

I am starting computer programming classes this fall.  It will take me 2 years but I will have an internship and a job when I'm done. 

In the meantime, I got busy looking for a part-time job that would have a more flexible schedule.  I put out all kinds of resumes and applications.  I first obtained a job at a local convenience store.  I really like the ppl I work with and there is nothing extra that I have to do after I clock out. 

Once I got that job, I heard from the local utility company about a part-time job I put in for with them...months earlier.  I made it through the screening interview and the test AND the final hour and half long, 3 panel interview.  They said they were going to hire a large number of part-timers and a few full-timers.  They tried to talk me into full-time but with the college schedule I have coming up this fall I just couldn't see it.  They had planned on starting training classes this week and were going to notify ppl by letter if they made the first training session, second training session or none.  However, that seemed to be too ambitious of a schedule and with the storms that went through and the problems they encountered they STILL haven't gotten the letters out.

At the same time, I was contacted by an online charter school about part-time to full-time teaching positions.  I was invited to an online info/screening session.  I attended then they contacted me a week later to see if I was still interested.  Of course!  THEN another week or so later they sent me an email interview to fill out.  It was another week or so after that when I was contacted to sign up for a final interview appt.  They were doing it by tele-con.  I had that last week.  They said they would not know for sure who or how many they were going to hire until the end of August. 

Everything is hurry up and wait.  Of course I would like the online charter school teaching position.  It pays way better than the job I have now or the one with the utility company.  AND it would save wear and tear on my vehicle.  The one woman at the utility company was really interested when I told her about my re-entry into college and for what I am going.  She said that she could use someone to help update their data base system.  The upside to the utility company is that I could work my way into other departments.   The downside is the drive through the city to get to work AND I would be stuck in this area,  With the school job I would have no traffic to contend with and I could live anywhere in Ohio.  But that is kinda the upside to the computer programming...I could get a job in any area I want.

So there it all is in a nutshell.  I could end up with a good job or stuck at the convenient store.  Only time will tell.  Anyway you look at it, I am setting some plans into motion. 

OH!  Another thing I am doing for me...
After I worked last year to take off weight, I allowed stress and whatever to derail me and I gave in to cravings.  I gained back all but 10 pounds.  I have just recently rededicated myself to the weight loss journey again.  I am keeping my food and exercise journals.   That is really helping.  I am finding that I am learning to actually enjoy my elliptical machine.  There are other exercise machines that I use but that is the newest one.

I need to concentrate on me again. 

5 comments:

Mister Ornery said...

That school/day care/whatever-it-is-supposed-to-be sounds like the absolute pits. Shame for the kids but I can understand why you had to leave. Sounds like you have better plans anyway. Best of luck.

Heatherscot said...

Thanks...I HOPE I have better plans. LOL

Jo ~ said...

Keep on keepin' on, you do what is best for you, screw that unforgiving shit of a husband LOL (I know I should just shut up right there...)

Heatherscot said...

Bella...all I can say about it is 'wow...some nerve'

Heatherscot said...

the husband, I mean. LOL