Wednesday, July 11, 2012

I'm Growing Up Too Fast!

There are many big moments as one grows up.  Learning to walk and talk, first day of school, first date, prom, graduations...

For me, the big moments are those when your 'child' doesn't really have a curfew anymore (but they know enough to be home at a decent hour anyway) and when they go to doctor appts. and college counselor appts without you.  I know that stuff sounds kinda weird but...it is when I know that they are truly becoming a grown up.  They don't need you there anymore. 

However, I think the scariest thing EVER is when your child obtains a Learner Permit for driving and starts driver ed school...And then they get an actual driver's license and go out there on the road...driving a car...without you. 

My son's driving kinda scared me.  It's gotten a lot better and I would actually rather be a passenger in the car when he is driving than when his dad is driving.  The only way I survive my husband's driving without having a heart attack is I take my MP3 player, put the earbuds in, turn it up, recline the seat a bit and close my eyes.  I tell him to just let me know when we reach our destination...or we've gotten into a terrible accident and I'm dead.

Today I am taking my daughter for her Learner's Permit test.  I have already scheduled driver ed. classes for you in anticipation of her passing. 

Yikes.

I am looking ahead to this fall when we will be used car shopping for her.  We teased her that we are trying to buy our neighbor's purple Saturn off of him for her.  She howled.  LOL!  Perhaps, though, a used Ford Focus.  BUT that's thinking too far ahead.  One step at a time.

I also got a call today to schedule her Senior class yearbook pictures.  Senior class.  Last year of school.  I know this is way too late but I'm rethinking the whole 'starting her a year early in school' thing.  She will still be 17 when she starts college! 

Okay...no time to hyperventilate here. 

2 comments:

Jo ~ said...

its funny my daughter Bobbi is 20 and I cannot ride with her at all. She is way too scary, but her comeback is, "I haven't had a wreck yet..." and my rebound, "its just a matter of time girlie..."

I am so glad to get her off my insurance and make her Daddy pay for what's coming! LOL

Heatherscot said...

Turns out she will have to wait for Friday morning to take her test. They only do the tests for Learners Permits in the morning and I have to work Thurs. morning