Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Planting Beauty

Today is one of those days to which I have been looking forward.  Sunny, warm...a short work day.  I am poised with wheelbarrow, shovel, plants and many bags of compost.  I LOVE to dig in the dirt and plant things.  I have a (maybe misplaced) sense of hope that this year I will be able to make a big difference in what the gardens will grow.  I have been in a 'transition' with the gardens around this house since we moved in.  Mind you, the first year I did nothing.  It was August when we moved in so I just let things be as they were.  I had to wait for the next spring to see what all came up and bloomed.  Then I had to decide what I still wanted to keep, get rid of, move, thin out, etc.  I ended up digging up and getting rid of most 5 bushes.  They had gotten some weird disease and died.  Once I got rid of those, then some of the other surrounding plants began to thrive again.

This year I am going to attempt flower towers for decoration along with a rock garden and the usual plants.  We'll see if I have any talent.

Troy managed to get rid of our old dishwasher.  He put in a new one. Much quieter.  I like it.  It was a major undertaking since the old dishwasher had been hard wired in and they had hooked it up using copper pipes...nothing flexible.  Frankly, I was surprised he had any idea what he was doing. 

Well...now...I guess I should go get busy.  Time to perk up my yard!

4 comments:

Mister Ornery said...

Here's hoping your garden(s) thrive better than the ones Mrs. O and I planted. We went from very wet weather to very dry with very little transition and our veggies and tomatoes were a mixed bag. Some did okay, others not so much. Same with the flowers. But I have not lost my touch with weeds. They absolutely flourished.

Mister Ornery said...

Going to try sharing a link here:
Gardening for health

Nancy said...

Mr. Ornery...I always figured I had a better mood after gardening just because of the sun, giving beautiful plants a new home, creating a new garden layout, and the quiet...no family, no TV, no phone, no dogs. LOL Who knew all I needed was bacteria?

Jo ~ said...

good luck, I keep thinking I'll plant something and nurture it, but it just falls to the wayside...