Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Observations of a Simple Mind

Today Troy drove Bethany's car to work because he told me last night that he has a bearing going on his...he's driven it to and from work like that since last Thursday.  REALLY?  He said, "I called the mechanic shop and they gave me an appt for Wednesday.  They said it won't hurt to drive with it that way."  sheeeeeezzzze!  I told him, " um...no...until it decides it's had enough!  Then you might be stuck in the middle of rush hour traffic an hour from home..then what?"  I drove Bethany to the school to catch the bus...then picked her up after work. 

I was sitting there waiting for her and watching the boys' baseball teams and girls' softball teams show up.  I made a few observations:
1)  There are 2 physical types of girl softball players that I saw...the first is the skinny little ones that have longer hair and they put it up in a ponytail; the second type is the chubbier kind...they have a top knot on top of their head with some sort of stretchie head band wrapped around and are wearing slip on sandals with the adjustable band  that they wear with their thick uniform socks.  I do not know who they are fashioning themselves after.  I just thought it was kinda funny that they separated themselves into fashions according to body type.
2) Any parents that dropped their son/daughter off had little sport decals on their cars.  This is just the beginning.  There is also signs that they plop in their yards.  To me it is like saying "yay!  my kid knows how to join in!"  I remember these parents from my HS days.  They would stand around with their chest all blown up with a look of importance.  It wasn't even about whether or not their kid had a major eye/hand coordinated skill.  Just the fact that the kid decided to join!  woohoo! 

It always brings back that memory of when I was in marching band.  Our band was what they call a 'show band'.  The band at the HS here in town is what is known as a 'Precision Marching Band'.  Bethany liked it (sorry...no band symbols or signs on my car or in my yard)  BUT the band at my HS was a 'show band'...we DANCED when we played.  I had the best time of my life!  ANYWAY...my parents never came to one game to watch me perform...and I really didn't think anything of it.  I was doing it because I enjoyed it so much.  It was MY thing.  BUT, for a short while I was dating the center on the football team.  THEN my dad came to a game...stood by the sideline with the other dads looking all proud.  So, after our opening show, I went down to the sidelines to say 'hi' to my dad.  He turns and says (loudly enough for the other fathers to hear) "which player is your boyfriend?"  (sigh) "Mark's the center...enjoy the game"  And I went back to my seat.  Halftime came and I did the show...dad was gone before the players finished coming off the field at the end of 4th quarter.  I finished dating the football player before the next home game. 

LOL! 

On to other things...
My son...found his school and his calling.  He finished last semester with straight A's.  First time since 8th grade!  He had his own internet radio show...until the first semester ended and the school cleared out old instructors and brought in more industry relevant instructors and now one of the instructors is trying to get him a job with Cox Media (where he works) as a production assistant...so they can train him to take over some radio duties.  AND he has found the best gf in the whole world...she is working as an STNA right now...has to put in a certain amount of time before the employers will pay for her to get her RN degree.  She is very sweet, has common sense, extremely pretty, and is head over heels for my son.  He is head over heels for her!  and I just love the girl myself. 

Bethany will be graduating from HS in a bit over a month.  She will be attending the college TJ is at...but she will start in November.  I think she will do great because she has done GREAT at the Career Tech Ctr.   She is thrilled with her progress and so am I.  Her instructor can't stop raving about her.  She plans on going into sound production. 

Tonight she was telling me about some guy from her school that is obnoxious and insulting to all of her friends but she says the worst thing he can think of to say to her is "you're short"  she says, "As if this is knowledge that I don't already possess"  LOL!  She'll be okay! 

Okay...it was nice to write about something else besides my rubble pile of a marriage. 

I just hope it hasn't done something to my daughter's way of thinking.  Tonight she says to me, "After what you've been through, I would NEVER get married again.  I would just live with a guy and then kick him out if he got to be crappy."  alrighty then.  I can't see anymore relationships in my future.  I am good with 'alone'.

No comments: