Monday, December 23, 2019

Fixing the Neglected

      The whole house humidifier has not worked since I moved in here.  I don't know when the last time it has worked.  Last winter I opened it up, partially, and discovered that the water dispersal filter was missing so I bought one and put it in but when I turned on the water, the water just ran out.  It did not run through it.  I decided I would, at some point, tear it apart and see if there was a clog that I could clear out.

    I put it off and ignored it.  Until this morning.  I went down with my wrench and screw driver.  I took it apart and discovered that it was full of lime and corrosion.  I used some CLR and soaked and scrubbed and rinsed.  Once everything seemed to be cleared out and all the parts that are supposed to move were moving, I put it back together, plugged it back in, turned it on, set the humidity level and turned on the water.  I waited and checked.  The heat came on and I heard the fan in the humidifier come on (it was hard to hear but I could hear it).  As the day has gone on I have checked numerous times to make sure the water is not running out...nothing.  The air in the house became warmer, I can breathe easier.  I have turned my thermostat down 3 degrees and it is still a bit too warm. 

    I FIXED IT!  Mind you, it was just maintenance but...still...I fixed it!  The day after Thanksgiving I put in a new garbage disposal and today I got the humidifier running again.  It feels GOOD!

     I am also insane.  Or partially.  I have a bad habit of doing things to 'test' myself.  For instance, I quit eating peanut butter quite a few months ago because it seemed to be causing me slight intestinal distress.  I decided, last week, to give it another try.  I was in a hurry one morning...slept in as long as I possibly could...popped out of bed and grabbed a pb&j sandwich to eat while I was getting ready for the 9 am intervention session with my kids.  I got through that hour session and the math hour that followed.    THEN, as Language Arts was starting, it hit me like a ton of bricks.  I thought I was going to drop a kidney!  BUT, I survived and sworn off peanut butter for the rest of my life.

       I tried going back to drinking wine but found out it still brings on the depression plus now there is an added bonus...irritability.  Just like having a monthly period.  So, I should add wine to the list of 'no-nos'. *sigh*  That is going to be a tough one.

      Over a year ago, the ex (whom I now refer to as Flawless, because he does no wrong) bought a house in Wichita.  I ignored his address, even though it was on the last round of alimony checks.  I literally did ignore it.  But after I had cashed the last one, and I was perusing the  online listings of houses in my area, it dawned on me...I could actually see the house he had bought. TJ and Bethany said he had given them a video tour of the place and I know TJ was probably playing it down.  My curiosity rose and I then had to ask Bethany his address.  So, I put it the realty search and there it was...this big beautiful ranch house in a cookie cutter housing development.  I was amazed but not surprised...at least not at the size of the house.  I figured that he would buy something amazing to keep up with his friend Eddie because he is that way...always trying to keep up or do better.  Everything was a competition and he had to come out on top or at least even.  I am surprised about the neighborhood.  He complained about those types of developments and swore he would never live in something like that.  eh...whatever. 

   I looked at it out of curiosity but I waited a year to look because I never trusted myself to look.  I thought I would get angry, feel jealous/cheated.  And you know what?  I felt nothing.  I looked, went, "Huh" and that was that.  It would have been nice to have a house like that as we were raising our kids but we couldn't.  His house is newer and bigger than mine but it is his hang up.  This house is mine and he is not in it.

    So, I satisfied my curiosity and also found out it no longer effects me.  I don't know that guy.  Never knew that guy.  And I am not having to put up with him here.  And I can honestly say at this moment, I do not remember the address.  You should only remember things that are important to you and have something to do with your life.

    I have been depressed not because I miss him.  I have been depressed because I never imagined myself alone.  BUT, I haven't done much to change that. 

    Tomorrow night I will celebrate Christmas Eve with my family...two of my siblings and their spouses and my parents.  I am grateful for that.  I will have Christmas Day with my parents, time over the holidays with 2 of my friends, my son, and New Year's Eve spent at my older sister's.  Life could be worse and much lonelier. 
 
    I am who I am and I do not do things as everyone expects.  I had many boyfriends tell me in in the past that I was not the norm...and what they thought I was going to do or how they thought I was going to react turned out to most of the time not be right.  They had difficulty predicting any of it when it came to me.  I have never figured out if it was a good thing or a bad thing but I guess it doesn't matter....it is just me.
   

No comments: