Friday, January 29, 2016

It Is Not Laminated Cuz It's Not Forever

Flu.

Now...to move on.

I knew it was going to come...my daughter was going to have a melt down.  She missed a week of classes because of her flu.  So, when she sat down at her computer to do her classwork, it wasn't long before she was coming unglued.  I had to calm her down. She was feeling overwhelmed about the missing assignments that she had to catch up on, and she was not understanding the math because she missed two classes, and she didn't know how she was going to drive to the college downtown on her own and find her way around without Jordan if he had to quit because of a job, etc.

I told her to take a deep breath and back down.  "First of all, you can only do what you can do.  Don't put pressure on yourself about trying to get it all done for tomorrow.  Do what you can and what you are not sure of you will find out in class.  I have been there and sometimes I just need to be in class to get it figured out. As for math, if you are really not getting it, we will make you an appointment with a tutor.  AND IF you end up having to finish the semester without Jordan, you will do it.  He will make sure you understand the route to the parking garage and how to find your way around to classes.  You CAN do this because you are smart and capable and you ARE your mother's daughter.  You know some of what I have had to deal with and falling apart is not an option.  First you accept what is, then you realize what you CAN do, figure out what you will have to spend more time on, but you make a plan and dig in."  By now she had taken her place back in front of her computer, the tears had stopped, she sat up straight, put her shoulders back and I see her raise her chin.  Calmer heads had prevailed.

Then she and Jordan returned from classes the next day, all worked up...wound up and loud.  They went on about the psycho Lit instructor.  They even brought her up on some site called 'Rate Your Instructor'.  There were the same horrible reviews about this instructor on there dating back to 2002!  From reading all of them, it backed up what Jordan and Bethany were telling me and I told them I would be afraid she would come into class one day and go postal on the group!  They kept going on and on about her and getting louder and louder...over lapping each other's words...and I sat there feeling my insides coiling up and I finally felt like I was going to snap myself.  My daughter recognized the look on my face and pushed Jordan downstairs.

Jordan texted me this morning to let me know he had a nice conversation this morning with the head of the department and got he and Bethany changed to another class at the same time.  He is a good man.

In the meantime...I think my flu is morphing into bronchitis.  I was supposed to go to dinner theater with Jean tonight but we had to move it forward 2 weeks so that I can recover.  good times.

No comments: