Friday, January 15, 2016

How to Save a Life

I like having kids that are young adults.  I mean YOUNG adults.  They know what's new out there...clothes, electronics, makeup, etc.  They can explain some things to me and find out stuff that I just don't have the inclination to waste my time doing.  To quote Adrian Monk, "If you do it, then I don't have to."


My son gave me the quick version of how to use my android when I first got it a year and half ago.  At first I just sat there and poked at it.  I had THE WORST time just trying to answer a call.  I was angry that some things you tap once, some you tap twice, some things you slide, some you hold and then slide....blah blah blah.    He said, "you know it came with an instruction book"  I said, "But you ARE my instruction book."  He rolled his eyes and wandered away.

Then there is my daughter who reads up on all things 'nutrition' and makeup.  She is always trying to tell me what is good for me and why...as far as eating.  Then, she tries various types of makeup and reads up on ingredients, etc.  Just this week, because of her suggestions and her 'look', I bought 3 more kinds of makeup that I am loving..although one is a makeup and moisturizer combination:
Oil of Olay tone corrector CC cream moisturizer (hey, a 55 year old can use ALL the help she can get!), Maybelline FitME Matte and poreless powder, and Rimmel London Show Off Lip Velvet Matte Lip Gloss.



Okay, you are probably thinking, "how can it be a Matte lip GLOSS?"  I thought the same thing.  It goes on like a gloss, and feels like a gloss but it LOOKS like a matte lipstick.  It stays on like a Matte lipstick but it doesn't dry out your lips.

Also, keep in mind that I am on a much reduced budget since the divorce and all of the things I bought were very inexpensive.  You will also notice that I am not brand-loyal.  Each brand of cosmetics has something I like.  For instance, I like NYC City Proof mascara.  I can build it up from day wear to a more dramatic night wear without it clumping up on me.  It is also 'melt' proof.  (I came across that bit of makeup by myself).

For my eyeliner, though, I use a liquid pen from Avon.  My ex sister-in-law and friend, Belinda, sells it and I watch for the S&H free times or a really great sale.  Then I buy a couple at a time.

My daughter also turned me on to Sinful Colors nail polish.  LOTS of shades and wears for a LONG time.  You can get sparkly, metallic and matte.  I do my own nails.  Never have gotten into the whole mani-pedi thing.

What do I help my young adults with?  Life advice and showing them how to fix things.  I think they have been inspired by mom to figure things out and do them yourself...or, find someone that has already figured it out and can give you verbal instructions and guidance.


I even showed my son how to recharge his car's AC.  He said, "I appreciate you doing this WITH me cuz dad would have either just done it and NOT shown me OR would have told me to figure it out or take it to the mechanic."

My dad was impatient and didn't want to show me anything.  So, when I saw him out in the garage or driveway working on one of the siblings' cars, I would meander out there, poke my head in and ask some questions...until he was ready to smack me with a crescent wrench.  LOL

I just like knowing how to do things.  And I like saving money.

I also like having my kids find things out FOR me.  Save money...save time....save ME.

No comments: