Sunday, April 24, 2011

Resurrection

When I was a small kid, even with all the Sunday School lessons, I was still somewhat confused about Easter.  I thought of Easter as the day the Jesus was crucified.  I thought Good Friday was the day He was captured and brought before Pilate.  I did not see what was GOOD about that. 

Then when I got older, I realized the Easter was the day Jesus rose from the grave. Good Friday was the day Jesus was crucified.  I REALLY didn't understand what was GOOD about that.  With age came understanding...and then I began to understand why it was GOOD Friday.

IS Good Friday.

My son has had a rough go of it since he was in kindergarten.  At least from where I'm standing.  That is when we started to move about.  Each school system he entered, he tried to make friends and fit in.  Mainly what he got was bullied.  It all piled on to his anxiety until his mind and body got together and decided to revolt against going to school.  His father has given him a bad time about it.  I have tried to help him in anyway I can.  I think TJ needed something in between the two of us...and it would have been nice if we could have met halfway and I really would have loved to...but his dad can be unyielding.  Things are SUPPOSED to go a certain way and everyone MUST conform. 

It is not easy dancing between two such anxiety driven ppl.  I have my anxieties but God has helped me hold it together most of the time.  I have my 'collapse' points.  But when I collapse...they ALL do so I try not to do it very often. 

ANYWAY...with all the bad places my son has gotten into...and all the bad, mean spirited people he has had to deal with I have seen a deterioration of his spirit.  I can understand but I did not want Satan to add another one to his 'lost' multitude. 

When TJ was younger...about 9...he used to lead some of the 'lessons' for youth church.  The leader, Kirk, was impressed with all the TJ knew and understood about the Bible and would let him have a part of church to lead every now and then.  Kirk said TJ had a natural talent.  I have heard him speak...and, yes, you would never know that he was shaking like a tree in a hurricane inside.  He is intelligent with a bit of humor added.
I can't help but wonder if my mother might be correct in believing that TJ has a higher purpose.  Perhaps that is why his life has been so rough on him.  Satan doesn't want TJ to do good and help others.

I know...it sounds outlandish to some of you. 

But here's the thing...I have been praying really hard for my son...my son's spirit...his soul.  Today we went to Easter service.  I remember sitting there and thinking, "I am feeling REALLY energized today and exceptionally happy to be here...and TJ doesn't look like he's ready to fall asleep."  The Pastor did a sort of dialogue...he was dressed like an old Roman Soldier...he recounted the capture, torture, trial, crucifixtion and rising of Jesus from the grave.  He really went into detail of how things were at that time in history.  And I remembered how, as a little kid, I thought Pilate was a terrible man.  But now I realize that he really did not want Jesus to be imprisoned or crucified.  He was a man that was not sure where he stood on the matter of Jesus and he was caught between a rock and a hard place.

After Pastor Brad was done with the dialogue, an older man from our congregation stepped up the stairs to the edge of the baptismal pool.  Pastor Brad recounted how this man had prayed with him and questioned him for years about God, Jesus, Christianity, etc. and now was convinced that it was real and something he wanted to be a part of...he asked to be baptised.  So they stepped into the pool, the man's wife prayed over him and Pastor Brad dipped him into the water.  When the man stepped out of the pool into the arms of supporters waiting with towels, Pastor Brad said that he had brought some extra towels incase anyone else just happened to feel that they were ready to be baptised.  For some reason I looked over at my son and to my astonishment he raised his hand.  He and another woman from our congregation were baptised this morning.  When the Pastor asked TJ if he had someone he wanted to pray for him, TJ said, "I would want my mom to but she's losing it so I guess I should ask my dad."  The congregation kind of snickered.  But he was right...I was crying and could not stop. 

TJ has been so very happy today.  He seems like he has some peace back in his life.  But as I told him now he is REALLY going to have to pray and stay close to God because Satan is NOT going to be a happy camper.  Satan will throw whatever he can at TJ trying to trip him up and bring him down.  TJ says he knows and he also knows that he has others praying for him and giving him support. 

My prayer has always been for the guardian angels to surround my family with their wings...to keep the evil from penetrating and harming them.  When I don't ask, there is trouble. 

Ask...and ye SHALL receive.  You just might not receive it in the way YOU had wanted but God knows what is best.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Nancy!

God be praised! Wonderful!

Please know that I will hold you and your family in my prayers.

peace

Whit's Whittlings2 said...

Nancy:

"The Pastor did a sort of dialogue...he was dressed like an old Roman Soldier...he recounted the capture, torture, trial, crucifixtion and rising of Jesus from the grave."

Now there is a Pastor with a little imagination who adds drama to his sermons. Sounds like he is worth his salt.

Nancy said...

Thank you Paul. Things like that tend to twist the kaleidoscope a bit and make the pattern different. I am now waiting to see what differences it makes.

Nancy said...

Whit...Pastor Brad and his son Brett (the youth pastor) have always put a lot of thought and work into making the church interesting and inviting to everyone. We have quite the eclectic congregation, and I think that says a lot for the church. All is welcome...something for everyone EXCEPT coffee and donuts in the sanctuary! LOL

Anonymous said...

Interesting. I wonder if TJ would have a talent for public speaking or something like that.