Thursday, April 21, 2011

Candy Nylons

Dandelions.  A lot of ppl pronounce it "Dandy Lions".  I don't think they are so dandy.  I spent two afternoons digging them up out of a square garden area in front of the house.  Troy spent time spraying them out of existence around our front lawn and part of the side yard.  I STILL have to spray the rest of the side yard.  While I do like the dots of yellow color that breaks up the green of the lawn, I also feel the slings and arrows being tossed at us from the surrounding neighbors as they hide behind their window treatments muttering curses under their breath.  Oh...the shame of it all!

On a good note...I thought we were going to have to buy all new shutters for the house this year.  One of the shutters in the front was missing a slat.  I did not know how or why...and the color was fading.  I didn't mind that so much cuz I hate the drab brown of them.  THEN whilst digging up those dandy-lions from the front garden I stopped in front of the window and looked at said slat-missing shutter...then looked at the one on the other side of the front window.  I looked back at the broken one and wondered WHY these ppl would have put two different sized shutters on the window.  The broken one was longer than the other one. 

Then my youngest sister called.  While talking to her I got up close and REALLY studied the broken shutter.  I tapped on it with my finger and discovered it was aluminum...not fiberglas like I had always thought.  THEN I noticed it was put together in sections.  Someone flip a switch...the light bulb came on!  I pushed at the bottom of the broken shutter and it slid up to the same length as the other one and pushed the slats together and...there are NO missing slats!  The shutter had just come loose at the bottom. 

I can't believe I was THAT dumb about it!  So unlike me to NOT check something out for myself...especially when it bugs me so much!  I have been yapping at Troy about that shutter for over a year now...and I never checked it out myself.  Well...they are ALL coming down, getting scrubbed and painted another color.  Just like the front door.  yep. 

All becuz of Dandy Lions....and my sister.

3 comments:

Mister Ornery said...

Our dandelions are done for the year, at least on the surface. I am convinced, however, that they spend the winter months burrowing deeper into the soil such that, come next spring, I will need a backhoe to excavate them.

Nancy said...

I spent an hour out there yesterday spraying the side yard...then I went to the front yard and resprayed a few that weren't quite convinced they wanted to die. THEY ARE HUGE! I believe you are right. Our yard looks like crap! You know why? The old lady that lived here before us paid TruGreen to come and treat her yard CONSTANTLY and they almost killed the hard maple tree in the front! We are trying to rejuvenate the yard without TruGreen's "help". This will take us a while and I do believe a backhoe is in our future. *sigh*

Whit's Whittlings2 said...

Nancy:

I would call them "damndelions".

Now you can shut up about the shutters. :^)