Sunday, April 26, 2020

Digging Not to China

I loaded Lucy up and went to visit with my parents and my 2 nearby siblings. It has become a regular Sunday afternoon thing. We would all show up after mom and dad got home from church. Church is now closed, of course, but we still show up between 12 and 12:30 anyway.  I have discovered something...my parents are hard of hearing and become more easily confused the older they get but my brother just does not listen.  I have to repeat myself to him 3 times because he only 'hears' parts at a time.  He is too eager to give 'advice' so he doesn't listen to the whole thing.

I joined a local plant exchange group on FB.  I was looking for some rhubarb plants and the one that started the group messaged me and told me that after seeing my post, she posted looking for rhubarb, too and someone responded to her that she could come dig up as much rhubarb as she wanted so she would dig some up for me too and all I had to do was come to her house and get it.  So, I did and Saturday I was out digging up a new garden spot for plants that like the shade and moist soil (rhubarb being one of those plants).  I dug up some of my extra hosta, yellow lillies and yellow irises and planted them there too.  I even had some leftover rhubarb to give my sister.  The garden spot was started by a large rubbermade deck box that I had removed from my porch (not good sitting on a wooden floor) and sat it up next to my garage.  I asked my brother if he wanted it so my dad and I loaded it in the back of my SUV and my dad took it to him when he took my SUV home with him (dad was taking it to the mechanic early in the morning last Tuesday) to get my new front struts on...which I had also left in my brother's garage after he thought he was going to put them on for me but discovered he would be able to get to the left one.  I told him I would have Dean (my brother's friend that owns a car repair garage) do it but I asked him to store the struts in his garage until I needed them because they were too heavy for me to move around.

AT ANY RATE, the grass under where the deck box had been sitting was dead so it was easy to dig it up.  I also dug up  more.  I then took up the few large cement squares leading to my porch and laid them on the weeds and grass along the garage that I still want to get rid of to extend the garden.  I then started cutting and lifting sod because I am laying a double line of square cement pavers to create a walkway to my porch from the driveway.  I found a brick to measure the space between the pavers.  I got 4 down...36 more to go.  I did some weeding and cleaned out my storage building and I potted some more plants. 

I took a dog dish full of water out for Lucy. She laid in the grass and watched the  neighborhood OR followed me around the yard.  It was a very nice and productive day for us both.

Friday I took my touch screen laptops to my cousin Tommy.  Today, after I left mom and dad's, I went and picked up my newer touch screen.  He had to reload my OS but it is now working just great!  He said the charging port inside the other one is cracked and he will have to see if he can find another one for it.  I told him not to sweat that one.  However, I did drop off my dad's laptop with him.  Dad said he decided to take the Chromebook back after all. He said he realized he didn't need to spend that money for something he really didn't need.  But I could tell he was disappointed in his laptop.  I talked him in to letting me take it to Tommy and letting him work on it.  Tommy messaged me tonight and told me he had already cleared out a ton of junk that was on dad's computer and added some RAM so that it would load things a bit easier.  He is still working on getting it going faster so that dad can use it again.  Maybe dad will be happy with his computer again.  He spent too much money on it for it to be a paper weight. 

I got a bird bath.  It was so cheap I couldn't pass it up.  The problem is it is a heavy cement thing.  I am going to paint it first then I have a clear coat/sealer for cement spray to put on it after that paint dries THEN I will put it out front.  I have SO much to do this year.  I have to paint and secure the railing on my front steps, replace a ceramic light in my sunroom with a fan/light, replace a vent fan in the main bathroom, and put in the new flooring in my bedroom.  I also need to put a couple more coats of porch paint on my porch. 

Debbie said that if she buys her mom's house it needs some fixing up. She said she may call on me for help with that.  I told her I can paint, wire in new fixtures and outlets, even help with some drywall and replace a garbage disposal however, if it is major building or plumbing I am no help.  LOL  Oh...lawn mowing, she is on her own also.

Okay...24 more days of school.  2 IEPs to write this week.  It is good for me that it is raining all week so I won't feel tempted to go outside and dig. 

No comments: