Sunday, April 16, 2017

How to be an Arrogant Prick

I got a 'C' on my last project.  C!!!  The rubric said to interview a high school student that has been on an IEP for quite a few years and had to go through the transition plans.  Then to share it in any manner we choose with our classmates in a professional manner and 'reflect' on the interview and answers.  That is ALL it said.

My course instructor told me that since the 'reflection' was 1/3 of the grade she expected that it would be more and she was disappointed that my Power Point (how I chose to share) was all of 5 slides long.

As you can imagine...this did NOT sit well with me.

This is an instructor with a DOCTORATE that is presenting a class on learning disabilities and how to reach students with different learning styles.  There is an irony here.

I copied her project instructions and inserted them in an email where I pointed out that she had not elaborated on any expectations.  I let her know that because of MY learning style and the way I process information, I took her instructions at face value.  If there was to be more specific instruction, it needed to be included. Given her pan of my Student Interview, I would be reworking  my Parent Interview before I submit it.

And I did.  I gave her a lovely introduction and a very long, indepth reflection including a reminder of student learning styles and that it does not change for adults.

I do not know what grade she will give me for that but...it is what it is.  I am disgusted with people that say one thing and do another.  Especially those with a 'Dr.' in front of their name.

I am not an idiot.  I do my job very well.  I am an extremely empathetic person and I get different learning styles and I can work with it...and I do.  Take that doctorate and stuff it up your butt lady.

On another subject... I want someone to say 'I love you' to and hear him say it back...and mean it.


3 comments:

Ron Friesen said...

I teach online with classes with grading rubrics. The grading rubric usually gives you a percentage for each component of the assignment. If the reflection was more than 30% of the total grade then it should have more than 30% of the total work. Just MHO.

Nancy said...

No Ron. That is why I was so ticked off. Her rubric was no specific about anything. She was extremely vague...and I copied it and included it in an email and pointed out to her what she did not say/instruct. What I did fell within what she gave us.

Jo ~ said...

I want to hear somebody say they love me too and mean it! much love to ya Nancy. Hang in there, glad to see she reworked your grade too!