Friday, July 8, 2011

Getting in the Way Another Day

We rented an SUV from National Car rental and becuz of hubby's employment perks we got the thing for a week for a whole $70 with unlimited miles.  I told him that he may not be getting what he's really worth in his paycheck but there are other perks like: free hotel rooms in upscale hotels, really cheap car rentals, and sometimes some almost free getaways IF we decide to have a stay at a place where he has to check in on a client issue...then his company pays for the gas, the room and most of the food!  LOL  If we want to really live it up, then the tab for the extras is on us but if it is just the 2 of us, it isn't a problem. 

He also gets to save his airline miles rewards to use for personal use so he's saving it up for a trip to Hawaii...and by then we will have lots of free room points so all we'll have to pay for is our food and extra fun!  How's that for living life on a shoestring?  LOL

We rented the SUV so we could take the doggies with us for the weekend up to the lake to see family for the 4th.  His mother told us we could bring the dogs there.  They were good and didn't stir up a fuss. She said we could bring them with us everytime we came to visit.  Now all I have to do is buy my own SUV or mini van, again.

Family members can sometimes be an aggravation.  Troy's sister is one.  Her kids are another...they learned self-centeredness from the best.  I really hate walking around with that lump of anger/aggravation inside of me and since I can't totally avoid them I had to sit and pray about a solution.  I'm not going for sainthood...just want to be able to shrug it off and not let it get to me.  So, here is something that I am going to try:  zero in on the positive thing(s) about them.  Then write it down in a note  and tell them how much I appreciate them for (whatever).  I am hoping this will help me overlook the things that bug me about them.  After all, it is just the way they have always been...always.  Of course, this could backfire in some way.  The worst that could happen is that they don't ever speak to me again.  That could also be a win.  Then again, my SIL doesn't speak to me unless she wants something...even then, she will ask my husband first. 

ANYWAYS...have an interview for an e-school teaching job on Tuesday.  Me and a bazillion other unemployed teachers in this state.  This particular e-school is hiring at least 75 more teachers for this next year.  I have sent applications and resumes to other e-schools in the state in the past month.  I figure the only way I am going to get into this is God is going to have to intervene becuz I have stiff competition.

We got the new roof on the house 2 days after we got back from our family visit.  Now I have to get busy painting.  I should have been at it already but I've hit a wall.  I can usually make myself get out there and get going but since we have been back I haven't been able to get myself to do much of anything.  I guess I've hit a 'depression pocket', as I like to call it.  This too shall pass. 

Since we haven't had the funds to take a vacation in the last few years, I decided this summer we are going to spend little bits here and there to do things close to home.  One of the first things I did was get some Cleveland Indians tickets to a game that is followed by a Lifehouse concert.  If you buy the game tickets, you get to stay for the show afterwards.  I LOVE Lifehouse and so does my daughter.  My son doesn't mind listening to them.  My husband doesn't know who the heck they are but he will go and like it...after all, I had bought him some concert tickets for 'Free' and went with him and they really weren't anyone I listened to at the time.  He owes me.  LOL

When he decides to take a few days off from his job we are going to rent some canoes and do the whole canoe trip down the river.  We have promised the kids we would do that for the last 6 years. 

Life goes by too fast.  You have to just make up your mind sometimes to take a breath and stop and then DO all those things you have put off doing.  Whatever is getting in the way of doing them will still be there to get in the way another day.

1 comment:

Whit's Whittlings2 said...

Nancy:

"How's that for living life on a shoestring?"

That's a long shoe string. Be sure you keep it laced up all the way. :^)