Thursday, July 21, 2011

Go Pedal Crazy Somewhere Else...

I found out today that TJ has weened himself off of his anxiety meds.  He said he quit 3 weeks ago and has already gone through withdrawal, that's why he was feeling so sick for a bit.  He KNOWS this is dangerous to quit them cold turkey but I also assume that he was not taking them on a daily basis before he just quit taking them altogether. 

He said, "I feel just fine!  I was only taking them to help me get rid of my tics but it wasn't doing anything for that so...why bother?  I'm doing good!" 

I find it rather extraordinary that he quit taking his meds about the same time he started a new job.  I'm glad he didn't tell me.  He knows I would have been 'helicopter mom' and hovered, wringing my hands and watching his every move.

I told him that I had come to the conclusion, anyway, after some more research, that he had possibly been misdiagnosed.  I told him I thought his problem was more that he has a very high functioning aspergers.  He just kind of looked at me like I'm nuts.  I told him it is just a theory...after all, he was always more comfortable with the adults, had problems relating to ones his own age, the anxiety and panic attacks are something that can come with aspergers, along with the tics, and his proclivaty to becoming zeroed in on/attached to certain things and the way he has of being able to remember details of things that the majority of the population doesn't hardly notice.  He just stood there thinking about that and he finally shrugged and said, "Whatever...I just wish there was a pill I could take to get rid of these tics."  His tics consist of mimicing the facial expressions of people he's watching on TV/in movies, etc.  Not those of actual ppl in front of him. AND he tends to make a little flapping noise with his lips when he's not paying attention to himself.  Could be worse.

He had a new girlfriend.  He was so proud of the fact that she is still a virgin, a Christian, goes to college and is not adorned by tatoos or facial piercings.  He brought her home to dinner one night last week.  He went to her church this last Sunday morning to meet her family and other friends.  Then, Monday night he announced to me that he broke it off with her.  I was surprised.  "Why?" 

"She's just another crazy chick.  I got so I was afraid to look at my text messages.  Every day it was something else she wanted to pick a fight about.  I got sick of the constant insecurities and the arguing.  I just finally told her to go away and take her crazy with her."

I just told him that I am proud of the fact that he has finally learned to get rid of the drama in his life that he really doesn't need to hang on to.  And perhaps this is why he really doesn't need his meds anymore. 

He is feeling more confident with his life...although he still has a long way to go with his schooling...but he is feeling good about his job.  I am glad he found a niche that he fits in for now.  So far, he is the ONLY ONE that hasn't been written up for work infractions.  He laughs becuz he says that they thought they all had him figured out as to who he is at work but are constantly surprised. 

For instance, he said that he swore at work the other day and they all gasped.  It wasn't the swearing...it was the fact that HE swore.  I laughed and told him that I thought maybe they thought he was a stoner cuz he seems so low keyed and talks rather monotone, doesn't move very fast, and there is no level of excitement about him.  He said, 'Um...no...they think I am some kind of choir boy...mostly becuz Dad told the manager before she hired me that I am a clean cut, church attending, dependable guy.'

Well...he is clean cut looking, even when he chooses to sport a 3 day growth on his face, and he does attend church but that doesn't mean he is a bible thumping choir boy.  He doesn't drink, doesn't smoke, has no tatoos, no piercings...just wants life to be real without the drama...or the crazy.

Boy...do I get that!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like he's growing up and turning out pretty good.

P.S. - I replied to your comment on my blog. I actually like Ohio.

Nancy said...

SKinny...I was just giving you a hard time. If I was angry I wouldn't have said so much...LOL! Ask my husband. My wrath comes with frostbite.

Whit's Whittlings2 said...

Nancy:

When it concerns romance, it sounds like your son is wise beyond his years.