Wednesday, July 13, 2011

A New Mind Game

My poor husband.  Just when he thinks he has it all figured out, he does something that gives me a whole new idea of a fun party game! 

It was about a year ago, or so, when he kept ranting at our son to look through his clothes because he was missing a certain shirt and he was SURE that it had gotten mixed in with our son's things.  He bugged the kid for 3 days and TJ kept insisting he didn't have it.  So...I got tired of the whining and looked in my husband's closet...not there...then went into his office and looked in the closet there...still didn't see it.  THEN I turned around and noticed he had some storage boxes in the corner with some clothes sitting on top.  I went through them and TADA!  The shirt!  I triumphantly carried it out to the livingroom holding it up in the air.  His eyes got wide and he said, "Where did you find it?"  I told him where and he just got a weird look on his face.  I didn't even get a 'thank you' nor did Jr. get an apology.

Then there was the matter of the mulching attachment for the lawn mower.  I had asked him about it and he said he had looked through everything in the garage and could not find it.  He angrily announced that it must have gotten left behind somehow during our last move.

About the 3rd time he ranted about it I made up my mind to clean out the garage...the bikes needed some space anyway.  So, while throwing things out I was sorting through a box and...TADA!  There is was...the mulching attachment.  I put it on top of the freezer by the door so he would see it.  He never said a word.  I asked him if he saw what was on the freezer.  He said, 'yes.  Where was it?"  "In one of the boxes in the garage."  I got no response.

So, for the past 3 days (3 days seems to be my breaking point) I have listened to his tirade about not being able to find a certain black belt.  He said he wore it Sunday to church and then threw it on the bed and it disappeared!  He said he looked over, thru and under everything in the bedroom and in his office.  SO, I looked through the dirty clothes hamper then under and through everything in the bedroom and his closet.  Nope.  Then I went into his office and looked under and behind everything in there.  I found two belts curled up on the floor in front of one of his book cases...he had told me it wasn't either one of those.  Then I looked in his partially packed suitcase and found one curled up in there.  THEN I looked on behind the suitcase and found one on the floor behind the suitcase.  I yelled out to him (he was in the kitchen) and asked him how many belts he had.  He responded with "four".  I told him I was seeing 4 belts...so he came down the hall to his office.  I pointed out the 2 on the floor and said, "I know it isn't either of them becuz you told me about them.  There is one in the suitcase, which I'm assuming isn't The One either." Then I held up another belt and he said, "That's the one.  Where did you find it?"  "On the floor behind the suitcase."  He looked puzzled and said, "I thought I looked there." 
"Obviously not....OR...maybe I was hiding it all of this time until now...just to mess with you."
He just stood there thinking about it as I walked down the hall.

And NOW I have a new game to play.  :D 
Until my son's girlfriend gets used to us...that is....then I'll have someone new to play with!  mwah ha ha ha!

4 comments:

Whit's Whittlings2 said...

Nancy:

Sometimes men have trouble finding things that are right under their feet. When I have that kind of trouble, I call my wife. She usually finds the missing item in a few minutes.

Anonymous said...

I never knew volcanoes could wage psychological warfare....lol...

Nancy said...

Whit...most ppl don't get my wry sense of humor/sarcasm. He is not the only one. If I don't actually stop and pay attention when I put something away, I won't remember either. The difference is I am the only one that will look for MY stuff...no one else will help. I once lost my favorite watch and found it 4 months later in a most unsuspected spot. It was in the storage area on top of one of the boxes. That's what I get for trying to tidy things up!

Nancy said...

Skinny...I only think of those things, give myself a really good giggle over it but never follow through. I believe in the golden rule "do unto others as you want them to do unto you". Since I would not enjoy such trickery being played on me, I really wouldn't do it to someone else. I also believe in karma....