Sunday, May 7, 2017

Finding the Measuring Stick

My son came last Thursday and had lunch with me.  He also brought stuff for the garage sale.  I had him sort through some things in the basement that he had left behind.

He was overly stressed and let out a whole string of frustrations..with things going on with life issues, with Brit, etc.  I am sorry to say I was more able to give him encouragement and advice in how to maybe deal with the life issues that were happening but I was not so encouraging about Brit and his relationship.

This morning I turned on the TV and was looking for a good sermon.  I was going to visit a new church this morning, since the one I used to attend is dying.  It is so sad.  BUT my back is hurting and stiff this morning so I am sitting in the chair with the heat pad.   I am hoping to go to the evening service at the new church.  This is another thing that interested me in the new church...Sunday evening services.  They have Wednesday evening bible study also, if I want to do that too.  Not too many churches do more than the Sunday morning service anymore.

I saw the Jim and Karen Evans "MarrigeToday" sermon.  I had heard them AFTER my marriage ended.  It struck me that neither TJ nor Brit had a good example of marriage before them.  Her parents were both messed up...her dad was an alcoholic (who not too long ago was saved and has been alcohol free since) and her mom is just a nut job with a weird 2nd marriage.  And TJ's dad and I did everything wrong.  I turned the marriage into a business relationship because of the example set before me by my parents and because he never knew how to be a mature husband...he pursued his own desires and never really became a husband.  

So, I am ordering them the DVD copy of "Emotionally Healthy Marriage" because they like to sit and watch movies, etc. together and this would be an excellent thing for them to do together.  Then I am going to pray about it.   This DVD series will not help if they do not have the mind set of wanting to change and make things better.  A crappy marriage is not good for anyone.  Divorce is not a fun thing to go through.  Brit may not be my favorite person but I am not the one that is married to her...I am not the one that has to make it work with her.  I love my son and I want him to be happy.

On another note...my eye surgery has been scheduled for June 15.  If I did it earlier I would have to fill out a whole bunch of paperwork for my HR department.  I would miss the last 2 weeks of work.  I have way more than enough sick days to cover it but they would require FMLA paperwork anyway, along with disability paperwork...in case.  ugh.  Our vacation officially begins June 16.  Our conference in Kalahari is June 13 and 14.  When the scheduling nurse on the phone told me there was an opening on June 15 I said, PERFECT!  So, she scheduled it.  I will have to finish my last 2 weeks of my class ahead of time because I will not be allowed to be on my computer, read my phone, or read a book for 2 weeks.  (good by texting and social media...maybe it will create different habits for me).

I am busy clearing things out.  My garage is going to look like it has a whole lot more room.  I am emptying out my family room.  The flex steel couch that is out there will be going to TJ and Brit. They need a decent couch.  The one they have is breaking down (cheap thing) and I will not need this one anymore.  I have a cover on it and Max uses it to sleep on.  I bought a black couch cover for it (because they wanted a black couch) and when TJ's dad is here in a few weeks to see his mom and get Max to take to Kansas with him, he can take it to TJ's in the back of his truck (he already agreed to it) and then he can take TJ's old couch with him back to Kansas with him because he needed something like that to put in his bedroom for Max to sleep on.  I get rid of furniture I don't need, TJ and Brit get a good couch, and Max gets a couch to sleep on when he gets to his new home.  WIN...WIN...WIN!!!

I sold the old retro end stands and coffee table in the family room.  I have always hated them but they were useful for a while.  We had a room that needed furniture and my mom needed to get rid of her old furniture.  I like how things go around.  I also sold my old antique china cabinet.  My parents got it for me at a storage auction way back when Douche and I moved into our first home...over 25 years ago.  It has moved from place to place with us and I didn't want to move it again.  Some woman at the garage sale yesterday told me that the cabinet is worth more than I sold it for.  Here is my way of looking at it...it is worth only what people are willing to pay for it.  I wanted to sell it and I did.
I also have a huge mess of Currier and Ives I need to get rid of.  I will have to advertise it.

There is so much junk in my basement.  I can haul some out for the trash and some has to go to specialized refuse places (electronics, toxic waste, etc).  But I will work on it throughout the summer.  This house is going to get down to the empty before I have to start packing to move myself.

Today is a great day to work outside so I will.  Mowing, weeding, mulching.  Looking forward to making it pretty.  The flowering bushes have gotten so very large because of the mild winter.  I have decided what i am going to do to fill in a few empty spots that I still have.  Things look pretty good but I need to finish it off.  Sad that I will not be here to enjoy it over the years.

I have joined a new Meetup group.  Part of the group meets at a local sports bar and grill on Wednesday nights for Trivia.  I am looking forward to that and I hope it turns out well.  There is a large bunch of women from the group that have signed up for a 3-4 hour canoe trip beginning of June and I jumped in on that!  I have been wanting to do this and...yay!  I also signed up to join them at our City park for a music festival.  I am just looking for fun things to do and meet new people.  Life has been dull and I am feeling lonely.  This is not my life.

They say someone will show up when you quit looking.  So...maybe...because right now what I am concentrating on is clearing out, and finding a GROUP of people that I can do things with...enjoy my life.  I have a long way to go and I refuse to go down less than happy.

No comments: