Thursday, January 26, 2017

Learn to Face the Strain

Where does life go?

I am back to homework along with the job.  I don't mind the hours I put into my job but I really do not like having to do the homework too.  It stresses me out and I am sick of being stressed.

I want comfortable.  Life is always going to have stress to it.  But I don't like having stress piled on that I chose to add.  Of course, at the time, I did not really expect this to cause as much stress as it is causing.  I based my decision on last year's commitment to my job.  However, they changed things.  They BETTERED things which everyone knows that every time things are upgraded, it actually ends up meaning MORE work.

To tell you the truth, I think I do spend a bit more time digging into things with the families I work with, than most of my co-workers.  I refuse to give up on a family.  There is one out of every couple of months that even I throw in the towel on.  However, I see so many of my co-workers going through the truancy withdrawal or non-compliancy withdrawal route.  I have discovered that with about 1/2 of the parents I work with, I have to treat them like I am the parent,  Others I have to choose my words carefully because they very easily take offense.  Yet, another part I have to talk to the students like I am the mom and the parents sit by and listen to me and are more than happy for me to do THEIR part.

Bethany decided to finally attend a meeting of the Psychology Club at her college.  She was not sure about going but I told her that they may help her figure out which direction she can go with her degree, be a source of job contacts, etc.  She came home loaded with info and very excited.  But now she is talking Sorority.  sigh...oh well.  It isn't like there is a Sorority house, since this is a community College.  LOL

My younger sister called me about her van.  It finally conked out and she has to get up earlier in the morning to give her husband a ride to work so that she can use his car to take the kids to school, go to work, pick the kids up then pick him up. She said that the mechanic told them he could patch it back together for $1500.  She, on the other hand, found a used van in great condition for a price she can afford the monthly payments on. She says hubby is leaning towards having the van piled stuck back together.  I asked her what SHE would be comfortable with. She said, "a 'new' van...the one I found.  I do not want to put $1500 on a van that is still going to fall apart and I can't depend on."  I told her to put her foot down then and TELL him this is what you want and why.  If nothing else, appeal to the safety.

I talked to my mom last night...or...she talked to me.  I had a splitting headache and I was tired.  I told her this 2 or 3 times. She had to tell me how she feels she has asthma and how awful the treatment was that the doctor gave her.  According to what she found on the internet, there is 3 different kinds of asthma. AND she read about each one to me...what causes them, what helps them, etc.

I would call my mom more often if the conversation did not turn into a 2 hour marathon.  I have tried calling more often to see if it would shorten the length of the conversation but no...
I know she needs someone to talk to. She and Dad barely talk and she has no friends.  The few women that call her do all the talking.

oh well...this is life

I did one thing good for myself...I ordered a rising desk top so that I can raise up my laptop and extra monitor so I can stand and work instead of being stuck in my chair all the time.  I also have to change out my office chair so that I can more easily use the under the desk cycle that Bethany got me.
I just have to have a few minutes to assemble the desk top.

And...it is the end of January already.  Already.  And I have 4 more weeks of my 3rd class.  Then I have a week break before the 4th class begins. I am also taking a week off from my job.  I am thinking about how I am going to rejuvenate my strained nerves during that week.

2 comments:

Jo ~ said...

hey girl, I too want one of those risers on my desk so my butt isn't growing roots 24/7 it seems like in this chair! its also better for your health! too funny talking about your mom and the 2 hour marathons (bless her heart she needs more people to talk too huh?) ...I go through that with Isabella whose in foster care and calls me and won't let me get off the phone! ugh! attitude galore and I feel like I need a nerve pill when I get off to debrief myself! haha

Nancy said...

The riser thing is going back. It does not collapse flat enough when I sit down. So...I am going back to finding a box to put it all on when I want to stand up. I would just wander around the house with my laptop and bluetooth BUT I like having 2 screens to work with. It is so much quicker. After The X comes and gets the other 2 dogs, I will be able to go out in the sunroom. Jack is not so inclined to look out the windows and bark at everything.

My daughter can sit and talk non-stop too. Except she needs to dial down the volume. I sometimes feel like I should ask her if she thinks I may need a hearing aid...cuz I don't.